When it comes to building your South Florida dream home, flooring may be a little way down on your wish list, but it shouldn’t be! Your home’s flooring is crucial, not only for aesthetics and function, but also so your home can express your unique style and showcase your personality. Flooring design, surfaces, colors, and patterns set the tone for your home and influence its overall charm and allure. Relative to function, your floors face the wear and tear brought on by you and your family’s daily activities, making your flooring choices important. As you make your selection, keep in mind not only the look you want but also the flooring’s ability to meet the genuine durability and practicality requirements for your family.
In South Florida’s tropical climate, featuring heat and humidity, as well as the continual threat of tropical weather systems, choosing your flooring becomes even more significant. Let’s look at some of the best options for flooring in your South Florida dream home to help you make the best choice based on the advantages of each type.
- Laminate Flooring – A great option for Florida homes, laminate floors are resistant to scratches, fading, and moisture. The result – they don’t expand or move, and they offer exceptional performance long term. Plus, laminate flooring comes in a wide variety of colors, patterns, and designs and can mimic hardwood beautifully.
- Marble Flooring – Marble tiles are ideal for South Florida’s heat and humidity, standing up well, even in high traffic areas. Both water resistant and durable, marble is easy to clean and promises to add a unique atmosphere to any space in your home. As a bonus, marble flooring often increases your home’s value.
- Granite Flooring – Highly reflective with distinct tones and colors, granite is resistant to moisture and staining making it an excellent choice for flooring. Granite is also durable, and when sealed properly is easy to maintain.
- Hardwood Flooring – Hardwood floors are beautiful but can be problematic in Florida where the humidity and moisture can result in additional maintenance. If you have your heart set on hardwood flooring, consider wide-plank hardwood which delivers a natural rustic feel great for transition areas in your home. Another popular option in Florida is reclaimed hardwood, the environmentally friendly choice. Reclaimed from old building, reclaimed wood is most often old growth hardwood which is extremely durable. Fir Hardwood is another robust option in which the texture and depth can make it a perfect complement to your home.
- Porcelain Tile Flooring – Porcelain Tiles are hard, dense tiles which are resistant to water and easy to maintain. Though colors and styles of porcelain tile flooring are somewhat limited, this option for flooring brings sophistication and fares well in the tropical South Florida climate.
- Ceramic Tile Flooring – Similar to porcelain tiles, ceramic tiles are less expensive and easier to work with, plus the come in a wide variety of styles and colors. Ceramic tiles are water resistant, durable, and easy to maintain.
- Engineered Wood Flooring – Offering greater resistance to moisture than traditional hardwood, engineered wood flooring is an optimal choice for South Florida. Engineered hardwood is stronger and more resilient which means humidity won’t encourage movement and expansion.
- Intricate Border Carpet – Bordered carpet features an elaborate border design which are ideal for narrow spaces like hallways. In lighter colors, the intricate design opens up spaces, providing additional light and texture.
- Custom Designed Carpet – Carpet flooring can be a unique choice particularly when custom designed for your dream home. Choosing bespoke carpeting can be the foundation for your core design throughout your home.
Being surrounded by water and sunshine, South Florida is the perfect place to build your dream home, complete with signature flooring which reflects your surroundings with stunning charm and unforgettable style.